Up next you can hear Aaron Walker sit down with Bob Burg.
Bob Burg is a sought out speaker for company leadership and sale conferences. Bob talks with broadcast personalities and a former President. Bob has been named by the American management association as one of the top 30 most influential thought leaders in business.
Why another book on leadership?
Bob says that he loves leadership and there is still so much to be learned. Bob talks about influence and how leadership is intertwined with it. The book shares more of a story rather than a how-to book.
Bob believes leadership is changing and there can be an endless amount of books on the topic.
What is a Go-Giver?
Someone understands that they are given an enormous responsibility to bring value to those they lead. Bob describes to move from the “I” to the “other focus” and put the interest of others before their own.
“When we think of traditional leadership we sometimes think of the stereotype that the leader is all about themselves. I do feel that this is changing though.” Bob Burg
With a go-giver leader, they willingly give up their self-interest and understands the more value they bring around them, the more it will benefit the organization.
It takes vision and holding on to that vision to be a successful leader. Doing this helps create unity with the community and see the goal.
Keys to Leadership
- Hold your vision
- Getting others to see your vision so they too can become leaders
- Everybody Matters
- Having people feel good about their work
- Stand for something
- Who you are is one of the most important aspects of being a leader
- “When someone has a high character we trust them because they stand for something” Bob Burg
- Practice giving leadership
- Handing over leadership to others
- Coach those that are in a leadership position
- Great leadership can trickle down
Bob says he would look for someone that has a history of the “other”. Having the person focused on the team and not the individual self. If you have that as a starting base, then you can look to get to the level 5 leader.
“The level 5 leader will take the blame and assign the credit.” Bob Burg
The level 5 leader will be the leader that is there for you and will run through a wall for you if they have to.
Top 3 Pieces of Advice
- Understand people do things for their reasons, not our reasons
- A great leader always asks questions: How do my goals align with their goals?
- Understand earning trust will be your most valuable asset
- Understand the prevalence of technology is vast, but it is always about the people
Get in touch with Bob
In ISI we help men live lives of success and significance.
Join Iron Sharpens Iron
Thanks for listening to today’s View from the Top podcast. To make sure you don’t miss any of our episodes click subscribe right now and if you enjoyed what you heard today please tell a friend and share on social media.
Learn how to live a life of success and significance at viewfromthetop.com
Read more at http://viewfromthetop.libsyn.com/expert-interview-with-bob-burg#jsqkOXcQu7EqXjQ5.99